Tuesday, May 21, 2013

REclaim

I am reclaming my space:  desk space, mind space, time space...  I am feeling VERY overwhelmed today, like I'm spinning in mud.  I can't seem to get anything done.  If I could just get one thing done and check it off, maybe the constriction I'm feeling in my chest might subside a bit.

Maybe.

I've got this jabberwocky pile of papers on my desk (OK, 3 piles) and an outrageous amount of emails amassed in my inbox (813 unread) - this is work email, by the way, so its really NOT good that I'm out of sorts with that.  Just had a surprise meeting with a vendor that they said they had emailed me about. I advised them, "clue number 1 I'm not expecting you is when I never replied to your email."  For my own sanity, I did go thru my emails and there is not one from him about meeting today.  There was one, tho, mentioning the need to get together, but since there wasn't anything specific regarding date & time, I'm putting this back on him.  So there.

Not gonna mention that someone claimed they had left me a voicemail several days ago that I hadn't yet returned.  Made me realize I hadn't checked it in a few days...  Well, make that several days because I had 17 unheard messages.  Yes, 17!  WTH???  (Oh, and by the way, there was no voicemail from the person who claimed to be waiting to hear back from me.)

And it just occurred to me:  that was the landline.  I haven't yet checked my cellphone's voicemail.  Ugh.

So, what do I make of all this?  I think I need to REprioritize and REclaim my life.  I'm going to push everything on my desk into a big pile and I'm going to start @ the top & whittle my way down until everything is addressed.  Then, I'm REcommitting my time to check voicemails three times a day (first thing in the morning, after lunch & before I leave at night).  To catch up on old emails, I'm going to set aside 30 minutes a day to start with the oldest & work my way up to the most recent.  I'm also going to stay on top of current emails better.

The tightness in my chest has actually lessened just mapping out this plan here.  Amazing how freeing that exercise always is for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home